mildly extremely obsessed with chickpeas. Between the high protein content and versatility, how can you not love them? Lately, I’ve been making a lot of patty recipes like these chickpea turmeric burgers for Bustle. For an even quicker dish, I’ll toss with them oil and spices and roast them for a crunchy, savory snack. And of course, nothing beats tossing them into a salad. So when I set out to make an original recipe for Nature’s Earthly Choice, a producer of organic grains, I knew I had to get chickpeas involved. Meet coconut turmeric chickpeas with black rice, your new favorite meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup whole-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked Nature’s Earthly Choice™ Black Rice
- Cilantro and lemon juice, to taste
- In a small pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, turmeric powder, and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chickpeas. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the chickpeas soften.
- Serve on top of black rice. Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice, to taste.