- Flat-sided purse
- Flower clip-on barrettes
- Metallic spray paint
- Heavy-duty pliers
- Strong craft glue
Not feeling the flowers? Use any type of clip-on barrette that you can find. Since they are made for young girls, there may not be many shapes that can work for adults… but you never know. I purchased these barrettes at the dollar store.
1) Un-clip each barrette. Using the cutting portion of the pliers, cut off the flat clip end. For best results, cut the barrette at the base of the main shape.
2) Repeat with the remaining barrettes.
3) If needed, snip away any parts of the barrette that may prevent the shape from laying flat. This is typically a little nub that the clip latches on to.
4) Spray paint the plastic shapes.
As always, head outside for this part. Proper ventilation is super important when using spray paint. Protect you work surface with tarp, cardboard or a plastic bag.
Let dry according to the can’s directions.
5) Glue each shape to the bag.
Once everything dries, you’re good to go. Can we just talk about how easy and non-traditional this project is? No one will believe you when you tell them you used barrettes. It just goes to show that everything has potential.
Styled Images Haruka Sakaguchi (The Denizen Co.)