As many of you know, I’m a contributor and DIY writer at eHow. I’ve been writing for them for more than a year now — time flies! eHow recently challenged myself and five other crafters to create a tutorial using four specific materials. Known as #ProjectThrowdown, this challenge required us to use:
4. Key Ring(s)
If you’ve been following me for some time, you know how much I love a good creative challenge. Admittedley, I was a bit stumped at first. But I knew there had to be something I could make. That’s when it clicked – a key ring necklace. I’ve made a Beaded-Wrapped version in my book, and an Embroidery Thread version for eHow’s blog. So…why not denim?
All six of our finished projets will be shared on eHow’s website and social media. The project with the most repins/regrams wins!
– Old jeans*
– 3-in-1 jewelry pliers
– Fabric scissors
– Feathers (5)*
– Large key rings (5)*
– Jewelry clasp
– 10mm jump rings (7)
– 12mm jump rings (2)
– Cord crimp ends (5)
– Strong craft glue/e6000
* Required by eHow #ProjectThrowdown challenge
1) Using the fabric scissors, cut five long strips of denim measuring about 1/2 inch wide. 12-inch strips will be more than enough material for each key ring.
2) Place a small amount of glue along the edge of one key ring.
3) Wrap the denim tightly around the key ring, adding glue to the ring when necessary.
4) Continue until the entire key ring is covered.
5) Cut away the excess denim and glue the edge down. Trim any fraying threads.
6) Repeat Steps 2-5 four more times for a total of five denim-wrapped key rings.
7) Using the toothpick, add a small amount of glue to the inside of the cord crimp end.
8) Place the stem of one feather directly into the cord end.
9) Using the flat portion of the pliers, carefully bend the cord crimp end shut. This will further secure the feather.
10) Open up a jump ring by bending the ends away from each other. Add the feather charm.
11) Carefully attach to a denim-wrapped key ring. Set aside to allow the glued feather to dry.
12) Repeat Steps 7-11 to make four more feather charms. Attach to the remaining four denim-wrapped key rings, for a total of five.
13) Using the fabric scissors, cut four strips of lace measuring about 1/2 inch and 8 inches long.
14) Tightly tie two key rings together. Triple knot to secure.
15) Cut away the excess lace.
16) Repeat until all denim-wrapped key rings are tied together. Position the rings in a slightly curved row; this will work best for a necklace.
17) Using a jump ring, attach a strand of chain to one of the outermost key rings. Repeat on the other side.
The measurement of each strand of chain will depend on the desired length of your finished necklace. For our necklace, we used two strands of 7-inch chain. Our finished necklace measured about 21 inches.
And that’s it!